So you’ve heard a lot about NFTs, crypto, wallets etc. You’re wondering how to get started so that you can experiment and learn how to buy NFTs? You’ve come to the right article. We’ll go over the basic steps you’ll need to take to get setup with some ETH, a crypto wallet to store that ETH, and an account on OpenSea to be able to buy NFTs with your ETH. Lets get started!
TLDR: How To Buy NFTs on OpenSea 1. Buy ETH on Coinbase 2. Get MetaMask wallet 3. Move the ETH into your wallet 4. Create an OpenSea account & link your wallet 5. Find the NFT you want 6. Purchase
Brief Introduction to NFTs
NFTs, or Non-Fungible tokens, have been making waves in the digital art industry and beyond. These one-of-a-kind digital assets can represent anything, including art, music, films, and even tweets. Many people are trying to buy and sell NFTs as their popularity grows. One of the finest locations to do so is on the OpenSea website.
OpenSea is a marketplace that sells a wide range of NFTs made by various artists, performers, and creators. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the process of acquiring NFTs on OpenSea, from creating an account to locating and purchasing the ideal NFT for you.
Creating A Crypto Wallet
So, before you create an OpenSea account, you’ll need a crypto wallet and some crypto in it. In our case, you’ll need some ETH in a MetaMask wallet. If you don’t already have one, here’s how you can create a MetaMask account.
In simplest terms, a “crypto wallet” such as a MetaMask wallet, basically lets you store and manage your cryptocurrency. Here are the steps you need to follow to make a MetaMask wallet:
Step 1: Go to https://metamask.io/ and click on “Get MetaMask.”
Step 2: Choose the add-on for your favorite browser, such as Chrome, Firefox, or Brave. Your browser will get the extension. To open the extension, click on the MetaMask icon in the toolbar of your browser.
Step 3: Read the terms of service and privacy policies and click “Accept” to agree to them. At this point, make sure your wallet has a strong password. Keep this password in a safe place, because you will need it in the future to get into your wallet.
Step 4: MetaMask will make a recovery phrase for you. If you lose access to your wallet, you can use this list of 12 words to get it back.
Keep this recovery phrase in a safe place, because you will need it in the future to get your wallet back. If you should lose your your private key, recovery phrase, and password you will lose access to your wallet and funds.
Step 5: Type your recovery phrase in the right order to make sure it is correct. Next, you’ll be asked to pick a network to connect to. To connect to the main Ethereum blockchain, choose “Main Ethereum Network.”
Once you’ve set up your wallet, you’ll be able to see your wallet’s address and the amount of money in your account. You’re now ready to go and create your OpenSea account, where you’ll be asked to link your newly created wallet.
Transfer ETH Into Your MetaMask Wallet
If you have ETH, great. Simply transfer some over to your MetaMask wallet so you have crypto to use and purchase NFTs on OpenSea. If you don’t have ETH (Ethereum, a type of crypto currency) yet, then follow along here and lets get some $100 or so worth of ETH to get started.
One of the platforms out there that we recommend to buy crypto on is Coinbase. Buying ETH on Coinbase and adding the funds to your MetaMask account is a simple process that will let you use your Ethereum to buy NFTs and other things.
Here are the exact steps you need to take to buy ETH on Coinbase and add it to your MetaMask account:
- If you haven’t already, go to the Coinbase website (https://www.coinbase.com/) and sign up for an account.
- Once you’re logged in, click the “Buy/Sell” button on the top menu.
- Choose “Ethereum” as the currency you’d like to buy.
- Type in the amount of ETH you want to buy and choose how you want to pay, like a bank transfer or credit card.
- Review and confirm the details of your purchase, and then click “Buy” to finish the deal.
- The ETH will be added to your Coinbase account once the transaction is done.
- Now, go to your MetaMask wallet, click on the three dots in the top right corner, and choose “Add Token.”
- Click the “Custom Token” tab and enter the Ethereum address of your Coinbase account.
- Click the “Add Tokens” button to confirm the token.
- The ETH in your Coinbase account should now be in your MetaMask wallet.
Please keep in mind that you should double-check the Ethereum address before confirming the transaction. You should also be aware of the fees that may apply when you buy or send crypto, and that some crypto exchanges have a limit on how much you can withdraw and how long you have to wait before you can get it.
Creating an OpenSea Account
At this point, you’ve purchased ETH somewhere, maybe on Coinbase. Now it’s time to create an OpenSea account. When you sign up for OpenSea, you’ll have instantaneous access to the platform’s NFT purchasing and selling capabilities.
Follow these simple steps to set up your account:
- Visit https://opensea.io/ and hit the “Sign Up” button to create an account with OpenSea.
- Enter your email address and think of a password. Make sure to select a secure password, something that’s at least 12 characters, alphanumeric and has special characters. The last thing you need is your account being hacked due to a poorly selected password. (that goes for any of your online accounts).
- Next, you’ll need a crypto wallet to link to your OpenSea account before you can buy anything. OpenSea is compatible with several different wallets. These wallets include MetaMask, WalletConnect, and Ledger. Keep in mind that some wallets may not be available in your country. For the most up-to-date details, see the OpenSea website.
You created your wallet in the earlier section, and transferred ETH into it so now you’ll need to link your MetaMask wallet to your OpenSea account. You’ll be able to purchase and sell NFTs on OpenSea after an OpenSea account has been created and your wallet has been linked.
Again, we can't stress this enough! Your account security is of the utmost importance. Two-factor authentication and the use of complex passwords are security best practices you should consider. Avoid giving out your recovery phrase or private key to just anyone.
If you’ve completed all the steps, congratulations! You are now ready to find and purchase NFTs on OpenSea. Enjoy!